Content

FLOOD RECOVERY

Tuesday, January 29, 2013


Flood engulfed Jakarta... again. I remember the last flood I had back in 2002, just before I left for California. We had like a week off work because all access roads were covered by flood, the water was so high that we couldn't even spot the traffic light poles anymore. From the air (I just happened to fly to Singapore at that time), Jakarta looked like a gigantic brown-colored lake. No one could imagine that there were actually houses on the bottom of that 'lake'. It saddened me that I had tears flowing down my cheeks without me realizing it.

This year, I experienced the same thing: big flood. It was NOT as bad as what happened in 2002 and, fortunately, I was NOT the victim (I never had been actually), but it still saddened me to see those people affected by this tragedy.

Since all access roads were covered by flood, our office was shut down for like about a week or so. And due to power outage, we stayed at the hotel downtown. During this stay-at-home (or hotel) time, husband and I went to visit the flood victims at the nearest reachable location to lend our hands. We brought them food, clothes and most importantly: vitamins and medicines.

My husband examining a kid affected by the flood

Since the doctors and/or paramedics had not visited this location yet, my husband gave them first aids. We visited them several times until it was safe for them to return to their homes.
The flood victims at the evacuation center


* * *



0 comments:

Post a Comment

ARCHIVE

SEARCH

CATEGORY